Imad Shehadeh (Professor of Theology at Jordan Evangelical Theological Seminary) puts forward several reasons why we should distinguish God’s OT command to kill the Canaanites from qur’anic Jihad:
[pk_box width=”600″ align=”center”]
- It is limited to one time, not all times.
- It is limited to one land, not all lands. It judges sin to fulfill prophecy, not to adhere to a religion.
- It shows God’s holiness, not his power. Its goal is to bless the whole earth, not subdue it. It is God fighting for his people, not the people fighting for God.
- It is according to God’s trustworthy nature, not according to a capricious nature.
- It prefigures God finally absorbing the deserved judgment and wrath on all nations in Christ’s death on the cross. Judgment deserved became judgment absorbed.[/pk_box]